© Lunenburg County Historical Society 2012
Web Design by Robert Ylkos
By Joan Dawson
In 1632, Commander Isaac de Razilly (Read the Isaac de Razilly brochure by Joan Dawson here!), first Viceroy and Lieutenant General of New France, built Fort Ste. Marie de Grace on a point of land that was, from 1632-36, the First Capital of New France. Today, that site in the village of LaHave is known as Fort Point, a National Historic Site and home of Fort Point Museum and Lighthouse. This community museum is owned by the Province and operated by the Lunenburg County Historical Society.
During the past 38 years, the Society has made considerable investments of money and time in maintaining the museum and lighthouse structures. Nevertheless, for the Museum to maximize its service to its community and to national and international visitors, we must now make greater use of the museum and the beautiful and historic grounds on which it rests. We embarked upon the Renaissance Project to enable us to better tell the historic stories, present our collection more effectively, and to improve our programs for community members and visitors.